Q & A on Sub-degree Programmes

Q1. What are sub-degree programmes?
A1. Sub-degree programmes include programmes leading to qualifications at the level of Associate Degree and Higher Diploma.
Q2. What are the differences between Associate Degree and Higher Diploma?
A2. Both Associate Degree and Higher Diploma programmes equip students with generic skills knowledge in specialised disciplines and practical vocational skills. In general, Associate Degree programmes put more emphasis on general education, while Higher Diploma is more vocation-oriented.
Q3. What are the programme structure, length of study and entry requirements of Associate Degree programmes?
A3. Under New Academic Structure (2012/13 academic year onwards)
The Associate Degree programme have a 2-year curriculum.

The minimum entry requirements are normally: (1) Level 2 in five HKDSE subjects including English and Chinese; or (2) other acceptable equivalent qualifications, including non-local qualifications obtained in or outside Hong Kong, or other qualifications/experience deemed to be equivalent.

Under Old Academic Structure
The Associate Degree programme can have a 2-year or a 3-year curriculum.

For those with a 2-year curriculum, the minimum entry requirements are normally: (1) one A Level or an equivalent number of AS Level subjects, plus 5 passes in HKCEE (including English and Chinese) or 3 passes in HKCEE plus level 2 or above in English and Chinese; (2) satisfactory completion of a pre-associate degree programme; or (3) mature students.

A 3-year Associate Degree programme can admit S5 graduates (with 5 passes in HKCEE including English and Chinese or 3 passes in HKCEE plus level 2 or above in English and Chinese) or mature students. For courses with a 3-year curriculum, the first year programme may take the form of either a standalone pre-associate degree programme, or a foundation course which form an integral part of an Associate Degree programme.
Q4. What are the exit qualifications of an Associate Degree?
A4. Associate Degree is a valuable standalone exit qualification. It is normally equivalent to 50% of a 4-year university degree (North America model) or one-third of a 3-year university degree (British model). In other words, Associate Degree graduates can articulate to Year 3 of a 4-year university degree(North America model) or Year 2 of a 3-year university degree (British model). As an exit qualification for employment purpose, Associate Degree holders can take up jobs at elementary management level and posts of assistant rank of the relevant profession.
Q5. Which institutions offer self-financing sub-degree programmes?
A5. The institutions offering full-time accredited self-financing sub-degree programmes include Caritas Bianchi College of Careers, Caritas Institute of Higher Education, Community College of City University of Hong Kong, Hang Seng Management College, HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Community College, Hong Kong Art School, Hong Kong Baptist University and its College of International Education and School of Continuing Education, Hong Kong Nang Yan College of Higher Education, Hong Kong College of Technology, Hong Kong Institute of Technology, The Community College at Lingnan University and Lingnan Institute of Further Education, Pui Ching Academy, The Chinese University of Hong Kong - School of Continuing and Professional Studies, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Hong Kong Community College, The Open University of Hong Kong, HKU SPACE Community College, Tung Wah College, Vocational Training Council, Yew Chung Community College and YMCA College of Careers.
Q6. Which broad disciplines do these sub-degree programmes cover?
A6. Sub-degree programmes cover various disciplines, including arts and social sciences, science and technology, information technology, business and administration, design and architectural studies etc.
Q7. Are the qualifications of Associate Degree recognised by the Government as an entry qualification for civil service appointment?
A7. The Government has taken the lead in announcing the acceptance of the qualifications of Associate Degree as one of the entry requirements for appointment to some civil service grades, including Ambulance Officer, Analyst / Programmer II, Assistant Information Officer (Streams : General or Photo), Assistant Inspector of Works,Assistant Leisure Services Manager II, Dispenser, Health Inspector II, Immigration Officer, Industrial Officer (Correctional Services), Inspector of Customs and Excise, Inspector of Police, Occupational Safety Officer II, Officer(Correctional Services), Police Translator II, Station Officer (Control), Station Officer (Operational), Statistical Officer II, Survey Officer and Transport Services Officer II. The starting salaries range from $14,065 to $30,540. Details are obtainable from the section of "Job Opportunities" in the Civil Service Bureau homepage (https://csboa1.csb.gov.hk/csboa/ais/JOS_001.action).
Q8. How should students choose sub-degree programmes?
A8. When choosing sub-degree programmes, students should approach the institutions for details of the course contents, the subjects offered, their articulation arrangements with other universities etc. For professional programmes, it is important to know whether the programmes are recognised by local or overseas professional bodies and the extent of exemption from professional examinations. In short, students should make detailed enquiries and comparisons before they decide which programme to enrol in.
Q9. Is academic accreditation (either by HKCAAVQ or institutions with self-accrediting status) equivalent to professional accreditation/recognition?
A9. No. They are different. Academic accreditation and professional recognition are separate processes with different objectives. It is a longstanding practice in Hong Kong and in many other leading jurisdictions with a long accreditation tradition that academic accreditation and professional recognition are dealt with separately by different quality assurance bodies. Whilst academic accreditation is concerned with whether a learning programme is capable of meeting the academic standards required for a particular qualification level, professional recognition is often focused on whether a particular professional association will admit an individual as a professional member or recognize his capability to perform a specific professional role and therefore whether the individual possesses specific professional competencies (often pursuant to specific legal provisions). In the case of Hong Kong, academic accreditation is mainly performed by the HKCAAVQ (with the exception of those institutions with self-accrediting status), whereas professional recognition is undertaken by relevant professional bodies in accordance with their own, profession-specific rules.

In the case of some professions, completion of the professional recognition process may only be possible after the relevant learning programme has commenced (e.g. where the professional body deems it necessary to look at the programme in operation). This is a decision for the relevant professional body to make, and will not affect the academic programme validation by the HKCAAVQ which is in most cases completed before the operation of the relevant learning programme.